Friday 20 February 2009

Learning

Separation from the kids is a rollercoaster ride . Some days i long for their bickering and other days i thinks how nice it is have break from being the all seeing eye always needing to anticipate , facilitate, negotiate, be a referee, chaffeuse, coach, cheerleader and that age old clairvoyant that is generally known as parent and more specifically as mother. Truth is i love all that stuff and much more in-between. An old fashioned thing to say but there is , before anything else i'm a mother and now grand-mother.



My grand-baby is 7 months old now and i missing all the changes she's going through. I saw her at Christmas and New Year and thankfully she remembered grandma. I'll be back home in the summer so there's alot of time to make up. I miss our nonsense conversations and the sound of her asleep in my arms.



I'm not the first nor will i be the last parent experiencing separation form the kids in an effort to give them a better life. I'm just doing it for a year. My hat is off to parents (especially women) who have to accept separation as a long term-solution.Heroes and heroines one and all.



Anyway, yesterday my friend B invited me to a meet and greet for some of the social / voluntary sector projects at the residence of the Ambassador to the European Union over here.



I went dressed in my muddy snow splattered boots , jeans and a fleece and felt quite under-dressed . B looked lovely and very diplomatically told me to get a life when i started whining. She was right . I just put on some fresh lipstick and had another spritz of my lovely Jo Malone perfume and i was good to go .The Ambassador (her boss) was/is a lovely down to earth guy and i met some really interesting people.



I got home late-ish .. about 11pm. Ganna wasn't impressed she'd been phoning me to see where i was and i didn't answer my phone.



I try to phone Ganna's twin- mum -in London if not everyday then every other day. I didn't fancy another lecture on my lateness so i didn't phone. I've been invited to a 50th birthday party next week given current form it would probably be wise to start the psychological preparations for both of them now or I'll never have any peace !

No comments: