Thursday 18 December 2008

Things the guide books don't tell you.

I'm flying home for Christmas tomorrow so i guess that's why my mind has been turning to the things that i have learned since coming here. Obviously it's been a huge adjustment but i think that I'm rolling with it now.When I'm I don't read the signs in the Metro anywhere as slowly as i used to. I no longer have to constantly consult my Metro map. Listening to the announcements telling me which station I'm at certainly doesn't cause me the stress it used to in the beginning. Having said that there are still things that get to me.Here are some of the things on my list :


  • I hate spitting . I think it's a thoroughly vile habit .Men over here spit like its a national sport. Apparently hauling back and blowing is considered 'cool' so a young man told me.Gobs of spit everywhere you walk is an everyday occurrence.Thank god I'm going home before the flu season really kicks in.

  • Russians don't have any discretion. Men and women alike will stand /sit and stare at you like it's their right and it's their business to examine you from head to toe

  • People drinking alcohol in the morning .

  • Drunks and on the Metro at anytime of day.

  • Many of the beggars on the Metro have some mind-blowing physical disabilities . Sometimes the things that you see them using to mobilise with are so crude.When i was going home yesterday i saw a man who had what looked like whole leg amputations. The leg-stumps he had looked like they'd been made of plaster of paris.The stumps were covered in cling-film. He pushed himself along the platform floor on a square of well worn MDF with 4 castors screwed onto it.

  • The women here in the beginning seem incredibly over-dressed. Sequins and spangles are de rigeur. Skin tight jeans and pole-dancer platform are acceptable.This also the home of the disco-bra and thigh high boots.

  • 4" inch heels in the snow and ice is not seen as a problem. As a young girl here told me when i asked her if she was frightened of falling and seriously hurting herself '' At least I'll look good !"

  • The very traditional view of women and mens roles now.Women over here dress deliberately for mens pleasure.

  • Men and women of all ages tying tongues and swapping spit ( we're talking hard core here) in public places seems to be considered normal behaviour.

  • When the weathers warm and the Metro is crowded (nearly always) there will be a time when a certain Eau de Frowsy Crotch & Unwashed Armpits hits and it will be more than you can bear. Back home I'm a 3 jumper minimum woman and everybody knows that i hate the cold. Let me tell you , over here , i give thanks all day long for the cold weather!

These are just some of the physical adjustments.The language adjustments ? Oooh.. i need to get myself in the zone to write about that :)





No comments: